White Hart Pub
The White Hart pub, a grade II listed building in Crawley High Street, offers:
- Real ale (Harveys)
- Beer garden
- Pool table
The pub was built in the late 18th century, incorporating part of an early 17th century building. It is actually the second White Hart in Crawley: the Ancient Priors just to the south had operated as the White Hart, but became too small to cope with the 18th century coaching traffic, and was sold in 1753. The money went to build the new White Hart coaching inn, with stabling at the rear for up to 180 horses.
The White Hart was the centre of Crawley’s business community throughout the 19th century, housing the town’s post office and corn exchange.
The decline in horse-drawn through traffic in the late 19th century led to the White Hart dropping its hotel and stabling services and becoming a normal pub. It is now owned by Harveys of Lewes.
Read more about the history of the White Hart.
Location and Parking
The White Hart is within a short walk of all the Crawley town centre car parks: